Retail Sales Associate
REPORTS TO: Retail Operations Manager
SALARY RANGE: $22/hour
DATE: August 2023
The Retail Associate will be responsible for daily operations of the 9/11 Memorial & Museum store, café, carts (outdoors) and pop-up shops- providing a safe, informative, and meaningful visitor experience. All Retail Associates are part time employees with no fringe benefits associated with the Retail Associate position.
- Accurately handles cash, processing of credit cards and follows all financial policies.
- Arrives to work on time and work scheduled shifts.
- Must be able to work weekends (both Saturday and Sunday) and a flexible work schedule including mornings and evening shifts.
- Adheres to uniform & cell phone guidelines for all locations.
- Maintains a professional, safe and secure environment for guests and staff.
- Provides an enriching and excellent guest experience to all guests
- Be attentive to guests needs and aware of surroundings when on the sales floor.
- Upsells current promotions and ask for donations using proper verbiage when on register.
- Shares product stories when interacting with guests to educate them.
- Remains mobile, interact with guests and stay productive.
- Assists with physical inventory and cycle counts throughout the year.
- Assists with accurately processing of incoming deliveries, unpacking, counting and replenishment.
- Receiving goods shipped against P.O. and ensures that receiving reports are clear and accurate.
- Communicates discrepancies found when processing deliveries, prior to items placed on the sales floor.
- Confirms that products are represented in a compelling way that is consistent with visual guidelines.
- Assures Loss Prevention awareness to protect the store from internal and external shortage.
- Maintains all work areas, lockers, back office, stock room, clean and organized, free of empty boxes and trash.
- Accurately operates the POS system and its functions, including ringing up items correctly.
- Ensures accuracy when handling cash to avoid overages and shortages
- Communicates timely any POS errors that came up during a transaction.
- Ensures proper care of all 9/11 museum store property: iPad, iPhone, walkies, scanners, donation boxes…etc.
- Required to work both indoor and outdoor locations.
- Adheres to company policies and procedures, standards and practices, regulatory compliance, and company directives including dress code and attendance.
- Follows request time off and blackout guidelines.
REQUIRED SUPPORT FOR ORGANIZATIONAL EVENTS
- Participates in the annual 5K fundraiser and 9/11 commemoration, as assigned.
- Assists with other special projects and events in support of all 9/11 Memorial and Museum, as assigned.
- HS diploma/GED and minimum of 3 years’ experience in retail store sales
- Excellent customer/guest service skills
- Visual display skills a plus
- Proven cash handling skills
- Highly responsible, reliable and accurate individual
- Proven ability to have a take charge initiative
- Takes pride and ownership in the position and property (behavior not skill)
- Ability to work both as part of a productive team and independently
- Must be familiar with POS systems
- Fluency in one language other than English a plus
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment described in this job description are representative of those that the employee will encounter and are expected to meet to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to see, be mobile, and have the ability for 2-way communication with the public and staff. The employee will be required to stand for long hours and be able to lift heavy boxes up to 40 lbs.
The work environment is both indoor and outdoor. The noise level in the retail environment is usually low. There are no protective devices to be worn or utilized in the retail work environment.
- This job description is a descriptive list of the responsibilities and qualifications associated with this position and are not intended to be all inclusive. Employees are expected to also perform other business-related duties as assigned by the supervisor or other management.
- The organization reserves the right to change, modify, or reassign job responsibilities, duties and scheduled work hours as per business needs.
- This document is a communication tool and not intended as a written or implied contract of employment.
- I have read and understand this job description. I agree to accept the responsibilities and duties as outlined.
HOW TO APPLY
- Include job title in the email subject field.
- Please indicate the location where job posting was seen.
- Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The National September 11 Memorial and Museum (9/11 Memorial & Museum) is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants who meet the qualification requirements of the role will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
The National September 11 Memorial & Museum (9/11 Memorial & Museum) is committed to an organizational culture that supports and reinforces our values regarding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA). We seek to build a collaborative, open, and equitable space where staff want to be, knowing that their contributions, professional expertise, and distinct voices are valued and respected. We encourage and celebrate an inclusive environment where candor and participation, when it comes to sharing ideas and collaborative problem-solving, are welcomed regardless of one’s role at the Museum or background.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified candidates, during the interview process, to enable individuals with disabilities an opportunity to interview.