Visitor Services Associate
REPORTS TO: Visitor Services Manager
DATE: August 2023
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Visitor Services Associate for the 9/11 Memorial & Museum. Below is a summary of some of the basic requirements and expectations.
Visitor Services (VS) Associates will carry out the daily on-site operations of the 9/11 Memorial Museum, providing a safe, informative, and meaningful visitor experience. Visitor Services Associates enhance the 9/11 Memorial Museum experience by facilitating the sale of tickets and entry into the Museum, engaging and interacting with our guests both within the Museum and on the Memorial Plaza, and providing exceptional customer service.
We ask Associates candidates to understand before we proceed in the hiring process. We encourage you to review these points carefully and bring up any questions or conflicts you may have with our VS Managers during the interview.
- All VS Associates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- All VS Associates are part-time employees.
- There are no fringe benefits associated with the VS Associate position.
- All VS Associates begin at $22.00/hour.
- VS Associates positions are contingent on availability and are offered at the will of the 9/11 Museum.
- Any hire at the 9/11 Memorial & Museum is solely based on the suitability as a candidate, including their own independent qualifications, schedule availability, and overall performance record.
- All prospective new hires at the 9/11 Memorial & Museum are required to clear a background check before starting the position. The background check is administered by the Memorial & Museum and can last up to 2-3 weeks after the paperwork has been submitted via email. No families, friends, or colleagues of the candidate are involved in the background check.
- In addition, all prospective new hires at the 9/11 Memorial & Museum must provide 2 references that are checked before a potential VS Associates can start.
- A VS Associates primary function is guest service – positive (helpful) and proactive interaction with large volumes of visitors – specifically: offering logistical information, educational content information, administering amenities, and public programs.
- VS Associates perform different duties at several different posts across the property including on the Memorial Plaza, Museum Box Office and in the Museum’s exhibition areas. Post assignments are preassigned and are rotated weekly.
- VS Associates work at the cash handling locations, Info Desk and Box Office.
- VS Associates sell tickets to visitors in a professional and courteous manner while also providing customer service regarding general customer inquiries.
- VS Associates distribute tickets and provide guidance to group leaders at the “Group Check-In” location outside of the Museum Box Office.
- VS Associates must be open-minded and adaptable to new challenges and changes to their posts and/or job functions as they occur.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associates work both outside on the 9/11 Memorial Plaza and inside the Museum. All Associates are assigned to work outside in all seasons (including rain, snow, wind, extreme cold/heat, and all other types of weather).
- Associates work on their feet and, depending on the post, are expected to move around quite a bit. The environment in combination with the hours can be physically demanding.
- An inside/outside uniform is provided to all VS Associates and required to be worn for all shifts. Laundry services are offered periodically for some uniform items.
- Associates are expected to handle the selling of Museum tickets. Associates are to maintain the organizations financial standards, which are distributed during VS Associate training.
- Associates are frequently evaluated by VS management and supervisory staff to gauge effectiveness and improve performance.
- High quality performance standards examine:
- Communication with Visitors: body language, initiative and awareness, articulation, clarity, and tone.
- Understanding Job Functions: post duties, system knowledge, and key info accuracy.
- Overall Job Commitment: sincere appreciation and care for our visitors (willingness to assist), respect for authority, and adherence to mission.
- In January, all VS Associates employed for longer than three months are required to participate in the annual performance appraisal process examining work from the previous year.
- The 9/11 Memorial Museum is open as follows:
- Museum Hours
- Wednesday-Monday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Closed Tuesday
- Memorial Hours
- Daily 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Museum Hours
- Associates scheduling is designed to match the number of staff needed to serve seasonal and daily visitor demand (more staff are required on weekends and peak tourism months).
- VS Associates work a minimum of 20-24 hours/week and will not work more than 29 hours/week.
- VS Associates can work 3-4 shifts/week. Shifts:
- 8:00 am – 3:30 pm
- 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
- 9:30 am – 5:00 pm
- 10:30 am – 6:00 pm
- 11:30 am – 7:00 pm
- A VS Associates schedule is determined by comparing the candidate’s availability with the Memorial & Museum’s scheduling requirements at any given time. You may not receive a shift that you have requested.
- VS Associates are expected to work weekend and holiday shifts. All VS Associates schedules will include at least 1 weekend and 1 close shift.
- All VS Associates are expected to attend the shifts they commit to, and to be punctual for the start of all their shifts. Any arrival after the start of the shift time is considered late. In addition, all VS Associates are expected to work all scheduled hours in the shifts they commit to.
- All VS Associates are required to notify VS Managers of scheduling conflicts in a required time frame. This is to allow Managers to resolve the scheduling conflict.
- All VS Associates have an opportunity to pick up additional shifts, as they are announced, and only if they are approved.
- Post assignments are rotated so that VS Associates can work a variety of positions and functions.
- All VS Associates receive breaks during their shift. The frequency, length, and whether these breaks are paid/unpaid depends on the duration of the shift.
- The average duration of a VS Associates shift is 6 hours and 45 minutes (which includes 1 unpaid 45-minute break).
- Additional meetings, training classes, and special events are sometimes required for all Associates and are scheduled in advance. Some of these functions may be mandatory (annual mandatory post refreshers and Emergency Action Plan training) in addition to an Associates shift work. Some of these functions may also be paid.
- All VS Associates accrue “sick time” (paid sick hours per hours worked).
- VS Associates are not compensated for callouts above their available sick time, or for vacations.
If you are offered a position as a Visitor Services Associates for the 9/11 Memorial & Museum, there are several steps remaining before you can start work as an Associate. Please review the below points carefully and do everything in your power to help us expedite your on-boarding process. Please stay in touch with our VS Managers and bring up any questions you have with them quickly via email/phone.
COMPLETING THE HIRING PROCESS
- Alert your references that you need their help right away.
- Fill out the background check portal.
- Do not leave the interview without completing the application and 3 separate reference check forms to the VS Manager. We only need 2 of the 3 to respond to us.
- All availability given during the interview process must be consistent to the start date of employment.
HOW TO APPLY
- Include job title in the email subject field.
- Please indicate the location where job posting was seen.
- Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please visit our website at www.911memorial.org.
The National September 11 Memorial and Museum (9/11 Memorial & Museum) is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants who meet the qualification requirements of the role will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
The National September 11 Memorial & Museum (9/11 Memorial & Museum) is committed to an organizational culture that supports and reinforces our values regarding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA). We seek to build a collaborative, open, and equitable space where staff want to be, knowing that their contributions, professional expertise, and distinct voices are valued and respected. We encourage and celebrate an inclusive environment where candor and participation, when it comes to sharing ideas and collaborative problem-solving, are welcomed regardless of one’s role at the Museum or background.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified candidates, during the interview process, to enable individuals with disabilities an opportunity to interview.